The Eagles Weekly Newsletter is a summary of the upcoming scheduled activities and events around Elko Middle School. Learn more about all that we do on a weekly basis by going to Resources > Eagles Weekly Newsletter, or saving the following link: http://elko.henricoschools.us/eagles-weekly-newsletter/.
Henrico County Public Schools wants your feedback on the idea of new “Young Scholar Academies” at the middle school level. These academies, slated to open in 2018, would offer a special focus for students to explore a specific interest, gift, talent, or skill. Please click here to take a brief, 2-3 minute survey, to let us know what kind of academies you think would be most appealing to our students: http://vovici.com/wsb.dll/s/b581g59b5a. The survey will be open until Nov. 28. Paper surveys are available upon request at the school.
Tome la encuesta en línea de las escuelas medias en español: http://vovici.com/wsb.dll/s/b581g59bd0.
Elko will hold Student-led Parent Teacher Conferences on Tuesday, November 15th from 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. Sign-up forms were sent home this past Wednesday, November 8th. If you did not receive a sign-up form please click the link below for a copy. We are happy to schedule a conference for you with teachers on a different date if you are unable to attend on the 15th. Students are asked to attend these conferences.
The International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program (IBMYP) is a comprehensive curriculum for students who are highly motivated and who have demonstrated the ability to achieve academically. In addition to a well-rounded selection of courses, students focus on developing a wide variety of skills to help them think critically, organize carefully, communicate appropriately and reflect purposefully.
IBMYP applications for the 2017-2018 school year are currently available to 6th grade students!
IB Middle Years Program Information Sessions
- @ Fairfield Middle School on Thursday, October 13, 2016
- 1st session: 5:00 – 6:00 p.m. Gymnasium
- 2nd session: 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. Gymnasium
- @ Moody Middle School on Thursday, October 20, 2016
- 1st session: 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. Gymnasium
- 2nd session: 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. Gymnasium
- @ Tuckahoe Middle School on Tuesday, October 25, 2016
- 1st session: 5:00 – 6:00 p.m. Auditorium
- 2nd session: 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. Auditorium
Please contact Mrs. Hall in School Counseling with any questions you might have regarding the application process at Elko Middle.
The following 2017-2018 HCPS Specialty Center information is currently available at http://henricoschools.us/specialty-centers/
- Digital version of the new 2017-2018 booklet
- Application timeline
- Information session dates and location
- Open house information
Learn more and be prepared to apply!
In order for students to receive a County-issued laptop for educational purposes, the following must be completed:
- Parents must complete and sign the Laptop Parental Agreement (.pdf), and return it to the school.
- Parents must review the HCPS Code of Student Conduct with their child; print, sign, and return the last page.
- Parents must pay the $50 Laptop Fee to the school. You can use Online School Payments to do so, or request a fee sheet for your child.
Please see your grade-level administrator with any questions you might have. We look forward to 100% deployment of this great resource for our students!
The first day of school is Tuesday, September 6th. The doors of Elko Middle School will open for the start of the 2016-2017 school year at 8:05 a.m.! The staff is excited to receive their new students. As students enter the building on Tuesday staff will be in the hallways to greet and assist students needing help locating their first period class.
Parents, bus information can be found on the Henrico County Public Schools website. Select Transportation, then Middle School Bus Routes and lastly select Elko Middle School. The link is: http://henricoschools.us/transportation/#tab-tab-2818-0-1-1-2818-2
Wednesday, September 7th is the first day of fall sports tryouts, from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Students planning to try out for girls’ basketball, girls’ tennis, boys’ soccer, and football must have a current sports physical on file with the school before trying out. The parent meeting for fall athletics is September 14th at 5:30 p.m. We look forward to seeing you.
We will begin to distribute laptops the 2nd week of school to students that have paid the laptop fee. If you have not had the opportunity to pay fees you may send in payment with your child on Tuesday or Thursday to submit to their first period teacher.
Save your box tops! Our PTSA collects box tops which helps to fund events for our students and supplies for teachers. Also, please join the Elko PTSA and participate in the monthly meetings and be a part of the planning committee for events like the Daddy/Daughter dance, talent show, health fair and many other events. We would love for you to share your ideas, creativity and talents!
Lastly, a few reminders:
- School hours are 8:35 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
- Tardy bell rings at 8:35 a.m.
- Are you done your summer cleaning and have gently used clothing and household items that you would like to donate? Drop your items in our donation box located in Elko’s parking lot. Items donated are weighed and Elko receives a monetary donation to support our school program for students.
We look forward to seeing you at the following upcoming events:
- Back to School Night – Tuesday, September 20th 5:30 p.m.
- Welcome Back to School Spirit Night@ Sweet Frog – Wednesday, September 21st 4 p.m. (also note September 21st is a half of day of school for students)
Elko Middle will once again offer students the opportunity to obtain Athletic Physicals at the school, on August 31st from 4:00pm to 6:00pm. Athletic Physicals are required for participation in all after-school sports activities. Medical personnel will be on-hand in the Elko gym to complete the necessary examination for students; the cost is $20, cash only.
Save time by filling out the parent’s portion of the document linked below and bring it with you on August 31st!
5901 Elko Road, Sandston, VA 23150
Phone (804) 328-4110 | Fax (804) 328-4115
School Hours: 8:35 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
Half-day dismissal time: 12:10 p.m.