The following is the newly revised schedule for 6th grade laptop deployment. The revised schedule includes all days next week (Monday-Thursday) with extended hours, please see the distribution table below for our school’s dates, deployment location, and times. This device distribution is for rising 6th graders and New HCPS Middle School Students. 5th grade students entering 6th grade this year that were issued a HCPS Chromebook last school year must bring that device and charger to be issued a secondary Laptop and charger. Please read these instructions below carefully for details about borrowing and caring for the Laptop.
Device Distribution Dates:
Aug 10 – 13 (M-Th)- rising 6th grader Chromebook for laptop swap (and all rising grade 6 or New HCPS Middle School students w/o elementary HCPS device pick up first time secondary HCPS issued device)
School Deployment Location: Elko MS Bus Loop Door 17
Date and Time: Monday 8-10-20 thru Thursday 8-13-20
Schedule: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Questions and answers:
Who is eligible to receive a Laptop?
- Any Henrico secondary student (in this case rising 6th grade student or new HCPS Middle School student) who is registered at an HCPS secondary school and does not have a laptop or will be exchanging their elementary Chromebook for a laptop.
What can I expect when I pick up the Laptop for my student?
- Pull into the bus loop to get in line. There will be an individual directing traffic. During the pick-up process, remain in your vehicle at all times.
- A staff member will approach your vehicle and ask for your child’s name and school, and your name. You will need to show valid identification.
- You will be asked if you have internet service in your home, and if you do not, you will be offered a Wi-Fi hot-spot device, if available (supplies are limited).
- You will turn in any Chromebook and charger you may have received for last year 5th grader remote learning and be receiving a 6th grade laptop for this year.
- Proceed to receive a Laptop and charger. You’ll receive information about the Laptop and the conditions of borrowing one. If you agree, the laptop will be placed in your vehicle’s back seat or trunk.
- Throughout this process, all staff members will minimize contact and exercise safe practices.
What is needed for a Laptop to work?
- Internet service is required for the Laptop to fully function and connect to digital resources that will be provided to students by their teachers.
Where should I go if the Laptop is broken or does not work?
- Remember, to function well, all Laptops and chargers must be cared for appropriately.
- If Laptops develop problems, they can be brought to a mobile technology hub to be turned in for repair. Summer Hours of operations are: Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 8:30-10:30
a.m. until August 20, 2020 then beginning August 24, 2020 the hours are: Monday through Friday from 8:30-10:30 a.m. and 2-4 p.m. Mobile hub locations are:
- Deep Run High School (4801 Twin Hickory Road, Glen Allen, Va.)
- Douglas Freeman High School (8701 Three Chopt Road, Henrico, Va.)
- Hermitage High School (8301 Hungary Spring Road, Henrico, Va.)
- Highland Springs High School (15 S. Oak Ave., Highland Springs, Va.)
What if I don’t have internet service in my home for the Laptop?
- HCPS will loan you a Wi-Fi hot-spot device while supplies last. Additionally, Comcast is offering free and low-cost internet at this time for qualifying families. To see if you qualify for their promotion, visit Comcast’s “Internet Essentials” website. The website for the promotion is internetessentials.com/covid19. If you want to apply for Internet Essentials over the phone please call 1-855-8-INTERNET (1-855-846-8376). Comcast’s call center hours of operation are from 8 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week.
- HCPS will issue Wi-Fi a hot-spot device, if available (supplies are limited) for those students without internet.
Is the Laptop set up to safely avoid access to inappropriate web content?
- Yes. Every Laptop is filtered by HCPS’ web filtering system to provide as secure an environment for students as possible. Students should use technology responsibly at all times.
When do I need to return the Laptop and charger my family has received?
- A date will be announced later for the return of each Laptop. Until then, each Laptop and charger must be properly cared for.
Where can I find HCPS’ online learning materials for elementary students?
- Visit http://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/hlp/virtual-learning/ for digital learning resources.
Thank you for reading,
Marilyn Royal, Interim Principal
Elko Middle School